Tunø skole - engelsk

Tunø Skoles elever ca. 1890. Tunø Lokalhistoriske Arkiv.


Tunø School was built in 1957 and inaugurated the following year.

Tunø School was built in 1957 and inaugurated the following year.
At this time, Tunø was still a self-contained municipality, but the school building project proved too much for the small island, at which point Aarhus County came to their aid with a considerable grant. There were roughly 35 children on the island at the time. There was a general shortage of teachers during this period, and attempts were made to entice qualified staff to the island by offering them a live-in residence. The islanders were successful and a couple of years before the new school was finished, the teacher was in place and ready for action in a brand new house.
The new school also doubled as a parish hall and was used for sports, evening classes, library services, social gatherings, etc.
Tunø School is one of the smallest schools in Denmark and is now a branch of Hou School on the mainland. Pupil numbers have varied over the years – but were ever decreasing. It’s a considerable challenge for a single teacher to cover all subjects for all age groups. The number of pupils scheduled for 2015 is six.
The evangelical chapel The former evangelical chapel is situated opposite the school. Built in 1893, it was mainly used for meetings and bible study sessions. In the late 1800s, several of the Tunø vicars belonged to the evangelical wing of the Church of Denmark (Indre Mission), and this had some bearing on church life. The vicars generally enjoyed support among the local people and were welcomed into their homes, regardless of the religious persuasion of the islanders.