Hov Havn Sommer 1.
Hov Havn Sommer 2.
The Marina. There are excellent opportunities for recreational activities in the Hou area, and these have become ever more important.
There are excellent opportunities for recreational activities in the Hou area, and these have become ever more important.
Whereas in earlier times, Hou harbour was rife with fishing vessels and various businesses, the harbour environment is now mainly recreational. Steadily increasing numbers of yachts are berthing at Hou – so much so that the marina had to be extended in 2005. Besides a dinghy society, there is a kayaking club as well.
On the far side of the old docks, the café forms an integral part of the charming marine environment. Converted from a fish shop, the café is very popular with locals and tourists alike. Giving pleasantly on to the water, the café offers both indoor and outdoor serving, and concerts are a regular feature.
In winter, the area between the café and the furthest jetty is used as a compound for sailing boats. In former times, this was a pebble plain. Odder Municipality now plans to build homes here – an issue that has been subject to vehement debate especially in the local area.
The old lighthouse can be seen at the far end of the jetty.
In 1900, a skipper by the name of Enevold Sørensen was employed to look after the newly built lighthouse, and since then, three generations of the same family have tended it.
The original lamp was a petroleum burner, but in 1948, electricity was introduced to power the light. However, the lighthouse keeper still had to check that lamps and mirrors were in good working order. Later on, an automatically operated light was introduced.
From 1976, the lighthouse was owned by Hou Harbour and the harbour master was in charge of operations.
Today, the lighthouse is no longer in use and is purely ornamental.
Behind the café, you can just make out the ferry port.
Since time immemorial, there have been ferry links to the isles of Samsø and Tunø using different types of ferry and various routes. The present ferry port dates from 1981 – it has been rebuilt several times, most recently in 2008 – depending on the types of ferry plying the harbour.