Funen County Hall
Chairman's bell from Funen County Council (Fyns Amt). This bell is now at Møntergården in Odense. Photo: Jens Gregers Aagaard.
In 2007, the municipal boundaries changed. The counties were abolished and replaced by regions while a large part of the municipalities from 1970 were amalgamated once again. The Funen County Council convened at the Funen County Hall in Odense.
Who rules Funen?
During the 19th century, the people of Funen had more influence on the local government. In the market towns, leading merchants were elected and, in the country, major farmers gained more power with the establishment of parish councils in 1841. During the next 100 years, still more people were given the right to vote at municipal elections including small landowners, domestic servants and, from 1909, women, too.
Odense was surrounded by parish districts which had their roots in the medieval church parishes. When the administrative boundaries were redrawn in Denmark in 1970, it meant the demise of the age-old division between town and country. This resulted in an emotional political battle about local identity and autonomy. A battle, which flared up again with the municipal reform of 2007, when the counties were abolished. On Funen and the adjacent islands, 32 municipalities were reduced to only ten, and even though the motto of the reform was 'closer to the people', the reality is, in many cases, that individual citizens feel very far removed from the decision-makers, both with regard to the health service and local municipal initiatives, generally.
This location is part of the exhibition 'Funen – at the centre of the universe', at Møntergården in Odense. Read more about the exhibition on our website.