Carrier cycle from the Lindø Shipyard
Carrier cycle from Lindø Shipyard (Lindø Skibsværft). The Lindø Shipyard was characterised by the many carrier cycles which workers used within the shipyard area. This carrier cycle is now at Møntergården in Odense. Photo: Jens Gregers Aagaard.
The Lindø Shipyard was characterised by the many carrier cycles which workers used within the shipyard area. When it closed in 2012, the site covered about 1,000,000 square metres.
When industry came to Funen
People on Funen were really on their toes when industrialisation took off in the course of the 19th century. Prior to this, every product was a piece of craftsmanship, often produced for a familiar customer. With the advent of mass production, however, uniform articles were produced for a much wider market.
In 1918 the shipowner, Arnold Peter Møller (1876-1965), founded Odense Steel Shipyard north of Odense. He financed this from his own capital, and from the outset he established a large residential area in the Skibshus district, close to the shipyard. After a modest beginning, the yard counted 1,000 employees in the middle of the 1930s and continued to grow steadily. In order to meet the market’s demands for larger ships, the Lindø Shipyard was established at Munkebo in 1959. By the 1970s, the number of employees had risen to 6,000, veritably making the village of Munkebo a town populated by Lindø workers. One of the yard’s vessels was the world’s largest container ship, Emma Mærsk, built in 2006. In January 2012, the last ship left the Lindø Shipyard, which was the last major shipyard in Denmark.
This location is part of the exhibition 'Funen – at the centre of the universe', at Møntergården in Odense. Read more about the exhibition on our website.